Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Julius Caesar: Dictator or Reformer?

          I am a poor plebeian man.  I lost my farm to a wealthy patrician a few months ago, and I am now bonded through debt to another patrician.  I must slave away to his family, unpaid, for who knows how long.  I have a family - a wife and child to support.  How can I do this with no farm and me indebted for many years?  My future looked bleak until Julius Caesar took power.  After that, my life started going uphill.
          Caesar is a hero.  He helped Rome to defeat foreign tribes and parts of Great Britain, which has helped add strength and wealth to Rome.  He also treats the people he conquers fairly.  Caesar has let a few of them become government officials, and he grants citizenship to people living in Roman territories outside of the city.  He has also restored cities that have been destroyed in battle against our great Roman Republic to their former glory.  Because of Caesar, Rome has entered into a time of peace and prosperity.  Not only has he been fair to former enemies, but he has also improved the livelihood of the poorer people, like me.  This man has provided land for those who have none, and has forced patricians with many slaves to hire free plebeians, too.  This means that we do not have to worry about starving, since we can farm our own land, and we do not have to stress so much about money, because we have more job opportunities.  Thanks to Caesar, my and my family's future can now be viewed in a more optimistic light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment