Thursday, May 5, 2011

Unit Reflection

Communicator:
          During this unit, I showed communicating skills through my "Ancient Egyptian Medicine and Illnesses" project.  Since we had to portray what we learned about to the class (in other words teach), I had to figure out a way to show the class what I wanted them to know and try to make them actually remember it.  I made a Prezi for this project, and I only put a few words on each slide.  This was better for expressing my ideas, because my peers would have to listen to me, and not read whole paragraphs on the screen.  Also, I tried to include a lot of pictures to help refresh my classmates' minds, as well as giving them images to associate with my presentation.  I believe the pictures made my whole presentation much more visually attractive (which helped to make my audience pay attention), and it also contributed to helping my classmates make connections.  All of the above help demonstrate that I was a good communicator during this project.

Knowledgeable:
          The same project I used in being a communicator also shows that I was knowledgeable.  I explored ancient Egyptian medicine and healing very thoroughly, and I acquired understanding about what they did back then.  I understood, because I realized why they used certain remedies and the logic behind it.  For example, one of the remedies ancient Egyptians used to cure graying hair was blood from a black calf.  This was because the black hair from the calf resembled the black hair of a person.  I understood this and more.

Information Literacy:
          I used this ATL in the same project I was a communicator and knowledgeable.  When I was researching and taking notes on the subject I was presenting about, I tried very hard not to plagiarize, and if I did, I did not mean to.  Also, while I was researching, I didn't read every single thing and develop it in my brain thoroughly.  Instead, I skimmed through while I was reading, and if I came to any part of the text I thought might be important, I slowed down and read it more carefully.  This way, I didn't have to waste time reading information that was irrelevant to what I was looking for.

Organizational:
          I was also organizational in this project.  I used a graphic organizer to put my notes in while researching.  This helped me put my information into categories, which helped tremendously when I was putting my notes into my presentation Prezi.  I also met the deadlines I was supposed to meet, and I didn't need any extensions.  This showed that I demonstrated commitment to the project.


How did the physical environment affect the development of civilizations?
          There are many different ways that the physical environment affected the development of civilizations.  First of all, it affected where the civilizations were located.  All of the great civilizations that developed over time have been located near sources of water.  This can include lakes, oceans, and rivers.  Where there is water, there are plants, animals, mud, a source of drinking water, a place to get clean, a possible trade route, and much more.  You will notice that there aren't very many, if at all, civilizations that turned out well that developed in complete deserts without any body of water whatsoever.       
          Secondly, where the civilization is located is a big factor in developing a civilization.  This can help shape the religion, the tools people use, the houses they live in, the stories they tell, the food the eat, and much more.  For example, if you live in a forest, you might eat deer, hunt mountain lion, and have a tree god, whereas if you live in a flat, grassy plain, you might have a god of the sky, hunt and eat smaller animals such as mice and gophers, and weave baskets out of long grass.  Each biome requires humans to use different tools and develop different skills, and that can shape the whole life of a civilization. 
          Also, the climate of a particular region can change the way the people living there live.  If they live in a very hot and dry place, they will be more likely to have a powerful sun god, whereas if they live in a very wet place, they may have a very powerful water or rain god.  If people live in a very warm area, the clothing they wear will be different than if they live in a colder place.  This could affect the animals they hunt (for skins fur used for clothing), and how they make their clothes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment